Monday, 16 February 2015

The flaw in the plan.

Ok, bear with me here as I'm writing this as quick as I can to get the thoughts out because it's something that's been bugging me for years.


It's no secret to anyone that knows me, reads my tweets or meets me for more than 5 seconds that I have zero self confidence. Zip. I don't know where it's come from but I see myself as, essentially, without any attributes.


Now, I've had therapy and counselling, and read self help books, listened to talks, and the one thing that has always, *always* thrown a spanner in the works is this bit of advice:

'Write down X things that you like about yourself'.


REALLY?

Let's look at this. My confidence couldn't be lower. I can name a million things I hate about myself. If  I *could* think of things I like about myself, or that I feel I do well that would be a start I know, but I can't, THAT'S THE POINT!

Whenever I've heard that advice it's made me physically tense up because it's so clear in my head that it makes no sense. If I try to list anything positive about myself I draw a blank.


Is it just me that finds that bit of advice useless?

As a post script, I also get irked by hearing advice about how to look confident by clearly very attractive people. Yeah, you *really* get how I feel. Git.


Rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment